Monday 6 June 2011

Are conceptual gardens just mumbo jumbo?

I recently enjoyed a couple of hours chatting to eminent garden designer Andrew Wilson for a forthcoming Surrey Life feature. Andrew was my tutor when i studied Garden Design at Merrist Wood College. Since those inspiring (and often very amusing) days in the classroom, when he drummed into us so many useful landscaping principles, he has launched his own Garden Design school in London. He is also an RHS judge, covering Chelsea and Hampton Court flower shows, and I was keen to get a little 'insider info' from him.

I won't reveal our whole conversation - that's in Surrey Life's July issue, but a few things stuck firmly in my mind. Firstly I was amazed to learn that only 30 to 40 garden designers submit entries to Hampton Court Flower Show each year - I'd always thought they'd be inundated, and hence I never considered having a go myself. Now I feel inspired to get designing - particularly as the conceptual gardens category has become so popular in recent years. Surely an interest and background in art will aid my attempt? Described as a 'fusion and art and horticulture' this category ticks 2 of my favourite boxes.

Andrew is a big fan of the conceptual gardens. 'Conceptual Gardens can breathe new life into a show' he says. 'They are sometimes harder to judge because you really have to study the idea behind the garden, not just the final execution. It is a pure aspect of design, and not a load of mumbo-jumbo, as some people may believe'.

Andrew was part of the RHS forum that decided to introduce the category; he recalls how one of the first conceptual gardens got an award, even though half the plants had died. The idea was brilliant, but the Italian designer had unfortunately had many of his intended plants impounded at the docks at Dover, hence his finished garden was diminished in some areas. However, his design and original intent were clearly impressive.

So there we are - it's not all about having green fingers and knowing your berberis darwinii from your Phyllostachys glauca. An open mind, the ability to translate thought into design and and a commitment to your original idea are also very useful.

Hampton Court Flower show is from July 5 - 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment